It’s been awhile since I’ve posted a personal blog but as this week marks 5 years since I graduated high school (yes, I know I’m young!) I did a little reflection on life post high school.
As I was catching up with an old friend the other day we were talking about some of our fellow classmates and where they are at in life. I was sitting there thinking about how I’m not married yet, I don’t have any kids yet, I don’t own my own house yet….and so forth. Then I realized this, and that is that I am doing just fine in life and have so much to be grateful for.
Is the glass half empty, or half full? It’s all about perspective.
First off, let me just say that if you would have asked me the day I graduated where I’d see myself in 5 years my answer would have nothing to do with where I’m at today! The shy and reserved 18-year-old Kelly would never dream of doing the things I am doing today. Funny how life works and how we change with time.
Here’s a brief list of life in these past 5 years
- I battled my health for remission with Crohn’s Disease not once, but twice……and won
- I literally faced death in the face back in 2011 as I almost lost my battle with my health
- I discovered a true love for biking, running and movement in general…..and now I can’t get enough!
- I welcomed the cutest little puppy, Sophie, into my life
- I graduated from college with a degree in Business Management
- I opened my own business, Everyday Helper, that is growing with each passing day
- I’ve tried many new experiences, meet many incredible people, and learned many valuable lessons
- Oh yea….and I recently tried taco pizza for the first time in my 23 years here on earth…..given I love tacos and I love pizza….how it took me so long to try this, I have no clue!!
While yes, that list makes m
e genuinely happy and proud of who I’m becoming, if you were to ask me what my greatest accomplishment in the past 5 years would be, it would be this….
That I have finally realized who I am, what I believe, what I want in life, and who I aspire to be. Best of all- I’ve learned to embrace my fears, overcome the mental roadblocks and to get up and go for everything I want in life.
And that is what I am most proud of for accomplishing in the past 5 years because without that growth and change, none of the above list and so much more in life would have never happened.
Life really does begin when you step outside of your comfort zone.
5 years ago I never dreamed of this life. I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career, I had no idea what I wanted or who I wanted to be in life. I was wandering aimlessly just waiting for whatever came my way. But the truth is, no one will hand you what you want in life. You have to decide what you want, and who you want to be and then you have to get up each and every morning and work towards those goals. Your happiness depends on YOU; not others.
Yes, that’s right! I am accomplishing yet another childhood dream of mine and am excited to share my story, my health journey, and what I’ve learned with the world.
“Lessons from Living with Crohn’s Disease” is the title of my first book and I can’t wait to see where life’s newest adventure takes me!
Stay tuned for more info closer to the release date of July 8th!